Christmas lights blamed for Tas home fire

Faulty Christmas lights were to blame for a house fire in Tasmania which sent three residents running for their lives.

The front half of the home at Montello in the state's northwest went up in flames in the early hours of Thursday morning.

Two women and a man were found sheltering in the backyard of the badly destroyed property, which suffered $300,000 damage.

"The occupants of this property were lucky to escape," Tasmania Fire Service regional fire investigator Anthony Goss said.

"We believe the fire was caused by a failure of the small connection box on a Christmas lights set which has caused it to heat up and catch fire."

Mr Goss said the trio were altered to the fire by smoke alarms.

He's urged all home owners to check Christmas lights for damage.

© AAP 2017

You may also like...

Monkeys swarm in Thailand

Monkeys swarm in Thailand

This is what happens when fireworks go off near where monkeys live...

It's high time to wet a line with mint conditions this week

It's high time to wet a line with mint conditions this week

IT'S a great time to wet a line for those looking to catch Christmas dinner, with sublime conditions on the Coast. Original Source...

Cracker jokes to make you pop with joy

Cracker jokes to make you pop with joy

Christmas - the time for the best (or worst) bon-bon jokes. Some will make you laugh out loud and others, well let’s be honest, they will...

Catch Nugget & Al over Christmas!

Catch Nugget & Al over Christmas!

Catch Nugget & Al and the Zinc Team at Harvey Norman Noosa on Saturday December 16th, Christmas Eve and Boxing Day! Expect shenanigans, a free...