Latest News

Three new Vic cases take total to 32

A Victorian coronavirus outbreak seeded by NSW's northern beaches cluster has risen to 21 with three new cases.

It brings the state's total active cases to 32, while hundreds of primary and secondary contacts of those infected are in quarantine.

The new cases were detected among more than 22,000 tests conducted across the state on Saturday, with people enduring long lines and lengthy waits to be swabbed.

Some test sites were overwhelmed, prompting those arriving for testing to be turned away and sent to nearby locations.

Sites have been opened for longer hours and new ones are being added to meet demand from travellers returning from NSW as well as people identified as close contacts and visitors to exposure sites.

Acting premier Jacinta Allan said staff were returning early from leave to help.

Opposition leader Michael O'Brien was critical of sites turning people away and multi-hour delays for others.

"No Victorian who wants to get tested, who needs to get tested, should ever be turned away from a queue but that's what's happening at the moment and until the government fixes that, we are all going to be exposed to a greater risk than we need to be," he said.

Capacity had been scaled back over Christmas but is being ramped up again, with more than 190 testing sites operating across the state on Sunday.

Close contacts of known cases are being prioritised.

A total of 13 of the 21 cases dined at a Black Rock restaurant on December 21, Deputy Chief Health Officer Allen Cheng said.

"The other eight cases are all linked, either directly or indirectly, basically through family gatherings at Christmas," he told reporters on Sunday.

There are about 220 close contacts of the cases in quarantine.

The state recorded no new cases acquired interstate or detected in returned travellers in hotel quarantine.

Just five days ago, Victoria was riding a two-month streak of no community transmission.

The source of the infection is unknown but genomic sequencing has found the latest cases originated from Sydney's Croydon and northern beaches clusters.

Health Minister Martin Foley earlier acknowledged the widespread disruption created by closing Victoria's border with NSW but made no apologies.

"Given all we've sacrificed last year, I don't think Victorians would expect anything else from the government that wants to keep their safety and wellbeing as its first priority," he said.

The border closed at midnight on Friday, leaving only essential workers including freight drivers and border community members with permits able to freely cross.

By Sunday 1500 people had applied for exemptions to cross the border, with others turned back.

Victoria's latest outbreak has prompted increased efforts by other parts of the country to avoid a spread.

WA has reimposed a hard border and other states are selectively shutting their borders to anyone who has been in the same location as a confirmed case.

Exposure sites are now in: Black Rock, Brighton, Cape Schank, Cheltenham, Doveton, Forrest Hill, Fountain Gate Shopping Centre, Hallam, Glen Waverley, Lakes Entrance, Leongatha, Mentone, Mordialloc, Melbourne CBD, Moorabbin, Mount Waverley, Oakleigh, Southbank and Wonthaggi.

© AAP 2021