Calls for more RSPCA volunteers
For many spending hours with puppies and kittens, sounds like a dream job – if only we had the time.
But 5,500 RSPCA volunteers in Queensland selflessly make the time, and spend countless hours looking after sick and injured animals.
RSPCA Qld relies on volunteers to raise funds at op shops, assist veterinary nurses, and care for more than 50,000 rescued and injured animals every year.
Spokesperson Michael Beatty says they are the lifeblood of the charity, and each year give up 550,000 hours of their time.
"The RSPCA almost quite literally couldn't open its doors without the help of volunteers.
"We simply couldn’t survive without them."
As part of National Volunteers’ Week, Mr Beatty wants to make sure their hard work does not go unrecognised.
Warren Howard, who has been volunteering at the charity in Kingaroy for close to seven years, has dedicated 3,271 hours to being an Animal Ambulance driver and dog carer.
One night while on an animal rescue, Mr Howard jumped into a pond in the dark to rescue bird tangled in a fishing line.
Mr Beatty says they are always in need of more people to land a helping hand.
"We're looking for animal care volunteers in Kingaroy, long distance drivers for the Bundaberg area.
"Right across the board animal care in Noosa, Gympie, Toowoomba," he says.
Key Volunteer Roles available:
· Animal Care Assistant + Vet Transfer Driver | Toowoomba
· Animal Care – Dogs | Noosa
· Animal Care | Gympie
· Animal Care Assistant + Gardening & Maintenance | Mackay
· Admin/ Adoption Office Role + Community Crew + Property Checkers| Mackay
· Op Shop Assistant Bundaberg
· Op Shop Assistant Bundall
· Op Shop Assistant Gympie
· Op Shop Assistant Labrador
· Op Shop Assistant Robina
· Eumundi Markets Car Park Attendant + Reception Assistant | Eumundi
· Gardening/ Maintenance + Transfer Drivers + Community Crew| Cairns
For more information, head to: https://www.rspcaqld.org.au/volunteer.