OUR GOVERNMENT JUST APPROVED LEGAL SPYING
While we were all enjoying the Easter break the government just switched on the full version of its metadata retention system.
It was October 2015 when the action was enabled (so our data has been stored and accessed since then) but the so-called
"implementation period" ended last week. This means all our online data is being held by our service providers which can be
released to any government agency upon request, WITHOUT A WARRANT.
WHY IS THIS CONCERNING ?
This data paints a detailed picture of what we do on the internet. Allegations with "proof" can now be made against intended targets.
The Federal police havd admitted already they've used this technology to investigate journalists critical of this metadata collection system.
THIS IS THE DATA THEY CAN GET
- Telephone records
- The time and length of phone calls
- The internet protocol addresses (IP addresses) of computers from which messages are received or sent
- Location of parties making phone calls
- To and from email addresses on emails
- Logs of visitors to chat rooms online
- Status of chat sites – whether they are active and how many people are participating
- Chat aliases or identifiers (the name a person uses in a chat room online)
- Start and finish times of internet sessions
- The location of an individual involved in communications
- The name of the application someone uses online and when, where and for how long used
WHAT CAN WE DO ?
Use a VPN to hide your location (it uses another PC to mask yours)
Go GMail or Hotmail for your e mail (they are overseas browsers) and use a VPN to even mask those addresses
Use Facebook Messenger to hide your SMS
Use skype to protect your phone calls